Did anyone read the article in the WSJ last week on the unhealthy concentration of bacteria on cell phones? It reminded me of my high school biology class and testing the amount of fecal coliform bacteria we found around the classroom (writing instruments, backpacks, the stools we were sitting on). Anyhow our findings back in the ’90s by a bunch of teenagers were pretty disgusting. The current research by real scientists discussed in the WSJ was even worse.
1 unit of coliform bacteria per 100ml is the limit in drinking water. From a randomly-selected test of cell phones taken from a Chicago office, the research indicated levels between 2,700 -4,200 units. Yuck! These levels lead to diarrhea, pink eye, and all sorts of maladies.
You know what I did this weekend? I thoroughly swabbed with rubbing alcohol our cell phones, keyboards, door knobs, handles…anything that normally doesn’t get cleaned but is touched often. Alcohol is proven to be 100% effective. Note that Apple and Blackberry on their user manuals strictly prohibit liquids (including alcohol) on their products. If you’d rather follow instructions and get sick, follow the rules. I, however, will be on an alcohol binge.