In list form, I thought I’d celebrate our anniversary by writing out my reasons for why being married is great. Not to be one-sided, I’ll start with some reasons why marriage isn’t perfect.
1. You lose your individuality as you work to compromise and make peace in your relationship. For example, when we’re driving in the car, I can’t have the radio dialed to rap or hip hop because Dean hates it. So those stations are out. A lot of the stuff that Dean likes, I used to hate, but I’ve caved in because the man likes it. Never prior to marriage would you catch me listening to alternative music! Ewwww.
2. Along those same lines, you no longer do all those wacky things you used to do when you lived by your lonesome like singing and dancing. I used to dance around my apartment all the time while swiffering the floor or microwaving a Lean Cuisine. I’d pretend I was Lea Salonga and belt out songs from Miss Saigon. Yeah, that doesn’t happen anymore. I also used to read a lot more than I do now, but Dean prefers to watch movies so we’ve become a Netflix family.
1. Finally, home-cooked meals! Dean is a yummylicious cook. I’ll post some pictures later from a recent breakfast he made.
2. Being a two-income household has major benefits. All those bills before? I took care of everything on my own. So nice now to split rent and every expense. No wonder people move in together. The financial benefit is huge!
3. Built-in handyman and heavy lifter. I used to huff and puff hauling my Costco goods into my car and up the stairs to my apartment. Dean to the rescue.
4. 24/7 companion. This can sometimes be a negative, especially someone like me who’s an introvert, but it is really nice to always have someone to have dinner with, watch a movie with, etc.
5. Affection. Dean smothers me with affection multiple times a day. Our favorite time of the day is night-time when we snuggle.