My friend G.R. sent me a handy compilation of his go-to bars and restaurants in Oakland–my birth city. Yes, Oakland! This list had me chomping at the bit to move to Oakland. Moving there has clearly been in the back of my mind as I think properties are undervalued and the city is really up and coming.
You can find G.R. bar hopping in the East Bay or you can stalk him here–very conveniently on Twitter.
- The Trappist – Belgian specialty beer joint. Over 100 different beers.
- Mimosas – Not my choice of hang outs but some of my friends like it. Champagne Bar but they have other stuff.
- The Fox Den (check times to make sure it’s open and there is not a show that night… it has weird hours…)
- Café Van Cleef (My favorite BAR in Oakland. They make fresh fruit drinks (Greyhounds and Screwdrivers))
- Uptown Night Club – They have a lot of Rock and roll and punk shows. If it’s not a show night, it’s a nice place to pop into for a drink.
- The Layover – after 10pm the DJ is too loud
- Penelope (in the bottom of the ask.com building) nothing special but if you are over that way, add it to the list.
- Radio – Dive Bar… very dark inside and a loud DJ after about 10pm. Good cheap strong drinks.
- Ruby Room – See above… except the music is way better! Rock and punk.
- Beer Revolution – Excellent beer selection and a nice patio area. (you can order food from Souley Vegan next door and they will deliver it)
- Urban Legend – Urban winery if you want to do a little wine tasting. Open during the day on the weekends.
- Geisha – Nice open bar. Comfortable. Has a pool table in the back room. Friendly staff. Across the street from Disco Volante (below)
Bars / Restaurants
- Disco Volante – They have hamburger that is served with bacon jam… that’s right! It will put a smile on any burger lovers face. Small menu. Good drinks. Live, not too loud live music on some nights.
- Souley Vegan – Vegan Soul food… yes, that’s right… AWESOME!
- Mua – This local Bar/Restaurant. Excellent everything (but further away from everything listed)
- Hibiscus – Takes reservations, good bar and excellent food.
- Tamarindo – Small plate Mexican food. Can be expensive but good. Next door to The Trappist.
- Luka’s Taproom – Full Bar, good Belgian beer selection. Cover after 9pm or so and REALLY loud. Make a reservation if you want to eat there. The food is good.
- Pacific Coast Brewing – They make their own beer (excellent) and they have pub food. The food is so so. Nice patio area but it gets chilly sometimes after dark.
- Leige – Great cocktails. Pricey. They have a small food selection but it’s all good.
- The Lake Chalet – I love this place!!! (Right on Lake Merritt… Best choice if you want food and drinks! They brew their own beer. Same owners as the Beach Chalet)
- Flora – (a little pricy but good!)
- Ozumo – Sushi. Same as the one in SF
- Pican – Food from the South… California Style. Pricey but excellent!
- Chop Bar – Good food, good brunch.
- Levende East – Strange menu but everything I’ve had has been outstanding. Ditto for the cocktails.
- Cock-A-Doodle Café – Good brunch.
- “B” Restaurant – not as good as Levende East across the street but if Levende is packed, it’s a good second choice. Boakland.com
- Mexicali Rose – Don’t do it.
- 3000 Broadway – this is my local bar. I wish they had a better selection of beer. Strange, always changing menu but the food is good but I wouldn’t count on it “for dinner” The Lounge part of it isn’t finished yet.
- True Burger – Burger and fries joint… great milkshakes.