How do you stay informed with news and current events?
Here’s what I do not use
- TV: I am not a TV person. In fact, I despise TV. It’s my personal opinion, but I think TV makes people unproductive and less creative.
- Radio: I’m not a radio person either. Often times casual carpool cars will play NPR which I respect. I prefer news over music. Music is so personal and it’s strange starting your day by listening to someone’s selection of hip hop or country or gospel.
- Social media: Contrary to my use and following, I do not use social media to stay current.
Here’s what I do use
- I’m embarrassed to admit this since I’m not a fan, but I do click on the News app of my iPhone several times a day. I need to stop because I feel like it’s badly curated.
- News digests via email. Here are my favorites:
- Need 2 Know: Headlines and only a few sentences at the most. I appreciate the brevity.
- Next Draft: A little more involved with a multitude of links, written in a sarcastic style.
- NYTimes.com: Hands down, the NYTimes is my favorite site for comprehensive news coverage. Hence the daily email. They also have a California Today edition.
- Quartz Daily Brief: Of all the news digests, this one has the best international coverage. They also tend to have interesting random tidbits that I sometimes tweet.
How do you get your news? Would love to know if I’m missing anything good out there.