Money Monday: One Million Dollars

No we did not win the lottery. In fact, we will be in the red by going into debt by close to a million dollars. That’s a lot of zeros! You do not retire at the age of 55 by taking on that much debt! This is a slap in the face to my financial conscience.

But then again this is San Francisco real estate where 1 bedroom shit-holes are going for $3,000+. Hence you go against the grain of your morale budgetary fiber and say, let’s get ready to rumble!

I’m excited to report that we have fallen in love with a single family home in Bernal Heights that we are prepared to put an offer on. But wait, there’s more! Included on the property is a separate, detached studio apartment. That’s the only reason we would be able to afford the home. Half our mortgage would be paid for by the studio. The previous tenant paid $2,000/month. Rents are going for more right now on Craigslist for this neighborhood. And Airbnb rates are going for $125+/night for Bernal Heights. It’ll be our little cash cow. Moooo!

614-618 Eugenia Street, SF – listed for $975,000 – 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1 car parking single family home including an upstairs attic area and another downstairs area with 2 additional bedrooms + separate detached studio

a1 a2 a3 a4 a5

a8 a9 a10 a11

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Want Dear Vixen advice delivered to your inbox?

It's easy! Click here!

Comments

1. says

No WONDER you are ready to make an offer. It’s GORGEOUS!!! WOW!! Love the fireplace! (I will also say “wow” to the price. It’s times like this that I’m glad we live in Charlotte.)

Thank goodness for the cash cow rental!! It sounds like it was all meant to be and everything is falling into place! YAY!! Hope your offer is successful!! Keeping all my crossables crossed for you!! –Lisa

• Catherine says

Lisa, I work at Wells Fargo so we have a strong connection with Charlotte. I want to visit! I see such beautiful pictures from my coworkers.

2. says

Wow, this looks amazing and truly sending good thoughts your way on this for sure. We are going to hopefully get ready to look in the next 9-12 months and hoping we can come up with something half as nice!!! :)

• Catherine says

The real estate and rental market is crazy here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Honestly this is the worst time to buy and look. But we shall see. I’m sure it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

3. says

I’m impressed! That’s not bad at all for $1m. Fingers crossed for you :) I have friends in SF who are paying WAY more than I am pcm for a place WAY smaller, so all that space you’re finding there is brilliant.

4. says

We saw so many beautiful houses in SF and I was dying to peek inside and ask how much they cost. This place is gorgeous, Catherine – I hope you get it!

• says

I just realized this is an older post- I’m guessing this is the place you did not get :( This is what happens when you go on vacation…you miss stuff! Hopefully I will be a bit more organized now that I am back!

Trackbacks